From: Chris Frederick <cdf123@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Linux design software recommendations
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:11:54
1 Hi all,
2
3 I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for design
4 software for Linux.
5
6 I've been doing a lot of remodeling in my spare time and I'm getting a
7 pretty good wood shop setup in the garage. I'm getting done with some
8 of the remodeling projects and I'm going to be starting on some
9 furniture soon. I'd like to have some software that I can do the
10 pre-planning in.
11
12 Currently I use xfig, and this works great. But, it's missing
13 something. I like it because I can do a rough draft of a design, or I
14 can layout cut patterns in the stock material so I can see how much
15 plywood I need to buy.
16
17 But what I'd like to do is both, and probably in 3D. What I'd like to
18 do is design a book shelf or something, and then take it apart and lay
19 it out flat into various 4x8 foot sheets, and possibly make a few
20 changes and put it back together again and see what the changes I've
21 made have done to the project.
22
23 Like I said, xfig is great, but it's only a 2D editor, and I really
24 think a 3D system is what I need. With that said, I'm doing all this in
25 my spare time (I'm a programmer full time) and I don't want something
26 that is too difficult. I think I only use about half or less of what
27 xfig can do in 2D. I don't think I need to learn a full fledged 3D CAD
28 system to build a book shelf or and end table or something. I need
29 something simple and easy. Build shapes, change dimensions, rotate,
30 scale, zoom, etc...
31
32 Of course it needs to run on Linux, and as being a gentoo user, having
33 it in portage is a plus. Since this is only a hobby, I'd like it to be
34 free. A "GPL-ish" license isn't necessary, but it would be cool (I'm a
35 programmer after all).
36
37 Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to what I'm
38 describing, or had success with other software that can do some of what
39 I want?
40
41 Thanks all,
42