From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SHA-1 has just been broken
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 18:06:08
1 On 26/02/2017 22:32, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 5:00 AM, Miroslav Rovis
3 > <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
4 >> On 170225-21:34-0600, R0b0t1 wrote:
5 >>> On Saturday, February 25, 2017, Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
6 >>> wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>> https://security.googleblog.com/2017/02/announcing-first-sha1-collision.html
9 >> ...
10 >>>
11 >>> Very interesting. The first useful SHA-1 collision was, if I remember, done
12 >>> in 2015, and subverted an HTTPS certificate (though not one which had been
13 >>> issued). This was some guys with a couple of servers lined with graphics
14 >>> cards.
15 >>>
16 >>> Seeing someone manage to do it in a garage a number of years before it was
17 >>> cosidered feasible should, hopefully, make you have more conservative
18 >>> estimates of the strength of modern cryptography.
19 >>>
20 >>> Aside:
21 >>> http://ecrypt-eu.blogspot.com/2015/11/break-dozen-secret-keys-get-million.html
22 >>
23 >> Too technical for me. Too little learning gain for too much mumbo-jumbo noise, at this
24 >> stage of my understanding of crypto, for me.
27 > My apologies. The useful part of the link is really the title. It
28 > explains how, if you *do* successfully break a given key, you have
29 > necessarily broken millions of them - you are just unsure if they are
30 > currently in use. The wise option is then to record every key
31 > combination you brute force in the hope that someone will start using
32 > it in the future.
33 >
34 >>> R0b0t1.
35 >>
36 >> But, when we talk crypto being broken, I can help thinking of other
37 >> threats to Gentoo and other FOSS GNU Linux that I fear are perfectly
38 >> feasible (for the resourceful subjects)
39 >>
40 >> Gentoo distro is increasingly served the insecure way, IMO, that is: via
41 >> git, without the repositories being, for end users, PGP-verifiable.
42 >>
43 >> And via a new private big business, the Github. Giving over all users to
44 >> big Github brother.
45 >>
46 >> And, in the trasition all the history got lost. Git started remembering
47 >> only from 2015.
48 >>
49 >> I have asked a question about getting git-served repository verifiable
50 >> for end users, but I didn't get any replies:
53 > This is something I was concerned about myself, especially since the
54 > bare git protocol that most users access the repository from, even if
55 > it is the repository hosted by the Gentoo Foundation, is insecure. Git
56 > access via SSH or HTTPS *is* secure but is not implemented - I'm not
57 > sure why, as they've purchased a "real" certificate and the Git
58 > subdomain may already be covered by it.
59
60 I always though git's use of SHA hashes was to identify commits and
61 detect random bit flips, not to provide any measure of security.
65 Alan McKinnon
66 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com