From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Iphone and transferring image files, pics and videos.
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 22:35:42
1 On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 22:08:09 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Laurence Perkins wrote:
3 > >> CAUTION: This is an EXTERNAL email. Do not click links or open
4 > >> attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is
5 > >> safe.
6 > >>
7 > >> Howdy all,
8 > >>
9 > >> My Sis-n-law has a Iphone. She takes TONS of pics and quite a lot of
10 > >> videos with it. Since a lot of them are family photos, I'd like to
11 > >> download them to my puter. I'd prefer to use Digikam since I can tell
12 > >> it to 'download new' next time and not have to worry about duplicates or
13 > >> missing some. Thing is, it can't access all the photo directories. I
14 > >> know there is about 4,000 files all together. Digikam only shows less
15 > >> than 1,000. I managed to copy them over using Dolphin but it took
16 > >> several tries and some disconnect and reconnecting to do it.
17 > >>
18 > >> I did see a error in messages that mtp-probe?? was missing. I found it
19 > >> and installed it. That error went away and it did improve things. Maybe
20 > >> I'm missing something else but dmesg and messages isn't complaining.
21 > >>
22 > >> What do others do to accomplish this? Is it normal to have issues with
23 > >> this or am I missing something?
24 > >>
25 > >> Dale
26 > >>
27 > >> :-) :-)
28 > >
29 > > It's a bit more work than maybe you're looking for, but I set up a
30 > > Nextcloud server and then all our phones have the Nextcloud app and are
31 > > set to automatically upload new pictures whenever they have an
32 > > appropriate connection.
33 > >
34 > > This does require maintaining a Nextcloud server or similar, but it also
35 > > makes it so that you don't have to plug the phone into anything, or even
36 > > remember to do it yourself.
37 > >
38 > > Furthermore, if you configure the Nextcloud app correctly, then when you
39 > > run low on space, you can tell it to remove the local copies of the older
40 > > pictures and it will keep only the thumbnails on the phone itself, but
41 > > can seamlessly pull them back in should you want to look at them
42 > > full-size.
43 > >
44 > > Plus it lets you synchronize notes for things like grocery lists at no
45 > > extra charge.
46 > >
47 > > I know a few people who use iPhones with Linux. It can usually be made to
48 > > work with some trouble, but Apple constantly tries to lock out third
49 > > party access, so it requires regular updates and tweaking.
50 > >
51 > > LMP
52 >
53 > So me having issues with it wasn't just me, it's just how it is.
54 > Great. Well, at least I know it isn't something I'm doing wrong. Guess
55 > I'll have to deal with it as is. I was hoping I could get it to work
56 > dependably with Digikam but maybe not.
57 >
58 > Thanks for the info. It helps clear up things. Just wish it worked as
59 > well as my Samsung. It works like a regular camera with no issues at
60 > all. :-)
61 >
62 > Dale
63 >
65
66 I have used app-pda/libimobiledevice and app-pda/ifuse as described here:
67
68 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Apple_iPod,_iPad,_iPhone
69
70 Then dragged and dropped pictures with Dolphin. However, it was just a few
71 hundreds, rather than 4k. It worked fine.