From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Iphone and transferring image files, pics and videos.
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 23:28:50
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 22:08:09 BST Dale wrote:
3 >> Laurence Perkins wrote:
4 >>>> CAUTION: This is an EXTERNAL email. Do not click links or open
5 >>>> attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is
6 >>>> safe.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Howdy all,
9 >>>>
10 >>>> My Sis-n-law has a Iphone. She takes TONS of pics and quite a lot of
11 >>>> videos with it. Since a lot of them are family photos, I'd like to
12 >>>> download them to my puter. I'd prefer to use Digikam since I can tell
13 >>>> it to 'download new' next time and not have to worry about duplicates or
14 >>>> missing some. Thing is, it can't access all the photo directories. I
15 >>>> know there is about 4,000 files all together. Digikam only shows less
16 >>>> than 1,000. I managed to copy them over using Dolphin but it took
17 >>>> several tries and some disconnect and reconnecting to do it.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> I did see a error in messages that mtp-probe?? was missing. I found it
20 >>>> and installed it. That error went away and it did improve things. Maybe
21 >>>> I'm missing something else but dmesg and messages isn't complaining.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> What do others do to accomplish this? Is it normal to have issues with
24 >>>> this or am I missing something?
25 >>>>
26 >>>> Dale
27 >>>>
28 >>>> :-) :-)
29 >>> It's a bit more work than maybe you're looking for, but I set up a
30 >>> Nextcloud server and then all our phones have the Nextcloud app and are
31 >>> set to automatically upload new pictures whenever they have an
32 >>> appropriate connection.
33 >>>
34 >>> This does require maintaining a Nextcloud server or similar, but it also
35 >>> makes it so that you don't have to plug the phone into anything, or even
36 >>> remember to do it yourself.
37 >>>
38 >>> Furthermore, if you configure the Nextcloud app correctly, then when you
39 >>> run low on space, you can tell it to remove the local copies of the older
40 >>> pictures and it will keep only the thumbnails on the phone itself, but
41 >>> can seamlessly pull them back in should you want to look at them
42 >>> full-size.
43 >>>
44 >>> Plus it lets you synchronize notes for things like grocery lists at no
45 >>> extra charge.
46 >>>
47 >>> I know a few people who use iPhones with Linux. It can usually be made to
48 >>> work with some trouble, but Apple constantly tries to lock out third
49 >>> party access, so it requires regular updates and tweaking.
50 >>>
51 >>> LMP
52 >> So me having issues with it wasn't just me, it's just how it is.
53 >> Great. Well, at least I know it isn't something I'm doing wrong. Guess
54 >> I'll have to deal with it as is. I was hoping I could get it to work
55 >> dependably with Digikam but maybe not.
56 >>
57 >> Thanks for the info. It helps clear up things. Just wish it worked as
58 >> well as my Samsung. It works like a regular camera with no issues at
59 >> all. :-)
60 >>
61 >> Dale
62 >>
63 >> :-) :-)
64 > I have used app-pda/libimobiledevice and app-pda/ifuse as described here:
65 >
66 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Apple_iPod,_iPad,_iPhone
67 >
68 > Then dragged and dropped pictures with Dolphin. However, it was just a few
69 > hundreds, rather than 4k. It worked fine.
70
71 That may help.  I'll give it a try next time.  I'm hoping at some point
72 I can use Digikam.  I like that I can just tell it to 'download new' and
73 it knows what to get and what was already downloaded earlier.  It's one
74 thing I really like about Digikam.
75
76 On a good note, I got the last video of my Mom before she died.  At
77 least that worked.
78
79 Thanks for the info.
80