From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why does not startx or xinit start gnome?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:22:33
1 On Wednesday 21 February 2007 13:23:40 John covici wrote:
2 > OK, but I had none of that -- I had just installed gnome and all its
3 > packages, so I had no idea that I needed that file -- I figured the
4 > default one would start gnome, if I had gnome installed.
5
6 Nothing prevents you from installing kde, gnome, xfce4, fluxbox and at least 5
7 other window managers all at the same time (unless you have a small disk)...
8 Hence you have to configure it.
9
10 The default is the most minimal of all (twm) which is so ugly that no sane
11 person will use it for an extended period of time. That way the default will
12 work even if only xorg-server (with the minimal use flag globally disabled)
13 has been emerged...
16 Bo Andresen