From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why does not startx or xinit start gnome?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:30:11
1 on Wednesday 02/21/2007 Alan McKinnon(alan@××××××××××××××××.za) wrote
2 > On Wednesday 21 February 2007, John covici wrote:
3 > > Hi. I was having major problems getting gnome to work at all when I
4 > > discovered that it onlyy works if I login using gdm -- is there
5 > > something about the gentoo distribution which has broken startx so
6 > > gnome does not run or am I doing something wrong here?
7 >
8 > No-one can answer that question for you easily, as you haven't supplied
9 > any information at all beyond that you use startx. It's always a good
10 > idea on a mailing list to supply all relevant data up front
11 >
12 > At a minimum we would at least need to know what's in your ~/.xinitrc
13 >
14 > To start gnome, it should contain (usually as the last line):
15 >
16 > exec gnome-session
17
18 OK, but I had none of that -- I had just installed gnome and all its
19 packages, so I had no idea that I needed that file -- I figured the
20 default one would start gnome, if I had gnome installed.
21
22 But I have since found an rc.conf variable which takes care of things.
25 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
26 How do
27 you spend it?
28
29 John Covici