From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing or renaming old /boot/grub directory warning
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 13:53:57
1 On 05/02/2022 11:21, Michael wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 5 February 2022 09:36:44 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> It failed with a missing normal.mod file. That file is in the old grub
5 >> directory. Once I renamed the directory back to what grub expected, the
6 >> system loaded grub fine.
7 > Ahh! The normal.mod command:
8 >
9 > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/normal.html
10 >
11 > You won't get a boot menu without this file, or a lot of GRUB commands.
12 > However, in a GRUB2 installation this file is found here:
13 >
14 > # find/boot/ -name normal.mod
15 > /boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod
16 >
17 > It should not exist the old legacy filesystem. :-/
18 >
19 > I wonder if you have somehow mixed the legacy and new GRUB2 files?
20 >
21 > Anyway, the solution is to go fishing for it from the GRUB rescue prompt, using
22 > the ls command and then set root and set prefix before you can insmode it.
25 My gentoo /boot directory doesn't have a /boot/grub directory in it.
26 Look and see if your grub.cfg has references to /boot/grub or
27 /boot/grub2. (SUSE put one in its setup ...)
28
29 The easy thing to do is rename BOTH your grub and grub2 directories, run
30 grub-mkconfig, and check if the .cfg contains any reference to your
31 renamed directories.
32
33 Then when everything boots successfully, try backing up and removing
34 them, and see if everything still works.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Wol