From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing or renaming old /boot/grub directory warning
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 11:21:58
1 On Saturday, 5 February 2022 09:36:44 GMT Dale wrote:
2
3 > It failed with a missing normal.mod file. That file is in the old grub
4 > directory. Once I renamed the directory back to what grub expected, the
5 > system loaded grub fine.
6
7 Ahh! The normal.mod command:
8
9 http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/normal.html
10
11 You won't get a boot menu without this file, or a lot of GRUB commands.
12 However, in a GRUB2 installation this file is found here:
13
14 # find /boot/ -name normal.mod
15 /boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod
16
17 It should not exist the old legacy filesystem. :-/
18
19 I wonder if you have somehow mixed the legacy and new GRUB2 files?
20
21 Anyway, the solution is to go fishing for it from the GRUB rescue prompt, using
22 the ls command and then set root and set prefix before you can insmode it.
25 > There's been other threads about kernel boot
26 > problems and the one I recently built could be having one of those
27 > problems. I haven't looked into that. I doubt there is any file system
28 > problem. The problem was me renaming a directory that grub still needs
29 > files from. There is likely a way around this but my post was to warn
30 > others that renaming that directory could cause problems.
31
32 Right, renaming should be done carefully as you could mix the legacy and GRUB2
33 filesystems.
36 > >> I've reinstalled
37 > >> using the grub-mkconfig command but have not reinstalled using the
38 > >> grub-install command.
39
40 Right, the 'grub-mkconfig' command only generates a new grub.cfg file and
41 overwrites the old one. It does not *install* GRUB, whereby install involves
42 dropping GRUB's bootloader code in the MBR and also copying all GRUB files into
43 /boot.
44
45 TBH, once GRUB2 is installed properly and it works, it tends to carry on doing
46 so. So the question remains, why did it barf at its normal.mod path ...
49 [snip ...]
50 > I don't have the old grub installed, just a directory that was installed
51 > by the old grub but contains files that the new grub needs.
52
53 Hmm ... that should not be the case. The legacy and GRUB2 filesystems are
54 different.
55
56 > The file
57 > and path it needs is this: /boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod Why that
58 > isn't installed in the new grub directory and told to look there for it,
59 > I have no idea at the moment. I may test it one day but don't feel the
60 > desire to try it today.
61
62 Life's a mystery! :-)