From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernels & swap usage
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:25:59
1 120810 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Aug 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>wrote:
3 >> The latest thing of any significance I can think of
4 >> is the removal of lumpy reclaim in 3.4
5 >> which has something to do with reducing memory fragmentation
6 >> in systems under memory stress. LWN has a subscriber-only article
7 >> about the change causing performance regressions.
8 >> I doubt it could cause an improvement in this particular situation.
9
10 On my system, swapping was eliminated after installing Kernel 3.4.0 .
11
12 > I honestly think anyone having difficulties with swap should check out
13 > the vm.swappiness sysctl before looking anywhere else.
14 > Setting it to 0 is much like removing swap,
15 > except you still have the swap space if you actually need it.
16 > On my work laptop, it looks like it defaults to a value of 60.
17
18 For some years, I have set swappiness at 10 .
19
20 My best guess after the various comments (thanks)
21 is that it resulted from the code clean-up in Libre Office
22 & that my memory was faulty in believing it had also happened with Firefox.
23 It shouldn't have happened previously, as I have 4 GB RAM
24 & lots of temporary disk space for Portage to use.
28 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
29 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
30 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca