From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernels & swap usage
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:01:39
1 On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>wrote:
2
3 > Am 10.08.2012 08:56, schrieb Jesús J. Guerrero Botella:
4 > > It could be anything. Maybe some orphaned process was running in the
5 > > background and leaking ram, or something. It's futile to speculate now
6 > > about that.
7 > >
8 > > Also, the -recently added- "pgo" USE flag could have something to do
9 > > with that. Not sure, since I didn't bother to investigate it's true
10 > > purpose on firefox.
13 > It does two compilations with a headless firefox benchmark in between.
14 > Except of doubling the compilation time, there is little difference in
15 > the compilation itself.
18 It enables profile-based optimizations. The resulting binary is much
19 faster, in my subjective experience.
23 > > I really don't think that the kernel has changed in a significant way
24 > > in this regard since the latests 2.6.x releases. But I certainly
25 > > didn't read *all* the kernel changelogs.
28 > The latest thing of any significance I can think of is the removal of
29 > lumpy reclaim in 3.4 which has something to do with reducing memory
30 > fragmentation in systems under memory stress. LWN has a subscriber-only
31 > article about the change causing performance regressions. From my
32 > understanding of the code, I doubt it could cause an improvement in this
33 > particular situation.
36 I honestly think anyone having difficulties with swap should check out the
37 vm.swappiness sysctl before looking anywhere else. Setting it to 0 is much
38 like removing swap...except you still have the swap space if you actually
39 need it. On my work laptop, it looks like it defaults to a value of 60.
42 :wq