From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernels & swap usage
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:29:52
1 Am 10.08.2012 08:56, schrieb Jesús J. Guerrero Botella:
2 > It could be anything. Maybe some orphaned process was running in the
3 > background and leaking ram, or something. It's futile to speculate now
4 > about that.
5 >
6 > Also, the -recently added- "pgo" USE flag could have something to do
7 > with that. Not sure, since I didn't bother to investigate it's true
8 > purpose on firefox.
11 It does two compilations with a headless firefox benchmark in between.
12 Except of doubling the compilation time, there is little difference in
13 the compilation itself.
14
15 > I really don't think that the kernel has changed in a significant way
16 > in this regard since the latests 2.6.x releases. But I certainly
17 > didn't read *all* the kernel changelogs.
20 The latest thing of any significance I can think of is the removal of
21 lumpy reclaim in 3.4 which has something to do with reducing memory
22 fragmentation in systems under memory stress. LWN has a subscriber-only
23 article about the change causing performance regressions. From my
24 understanding of the code, I doubt it could cause an improvement in this
25 particular situation.
26
27 Regards,
28 Florian Philipp