From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: nForce chipsets (was: Re: [gentoo-user] VIA K8M890/K8M880 (VT8251) supported?)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 07:00:12
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2
3 > Odd, my nforce4 board has not encountered any issues since I bought it last
4 > year. It successfully drives my WD Raptors and SATA CD/DVD-RW.
5
6 AFAIK, nForce4 does not have any problem with sata-I disks. And out of
7 sata-II, WD are the only drives which work without problem (I did not
8 know it before, just now I have read a few forums and mailing lists,
9 full of complaints about sata-II & nForce4). But with all other sata-II
10 disks (Seagate, Hitachi, Maxtor, Samsung) nForce4 has really problems.
11 Sometimes switching the drive to sata-I mode helps, sometimes not.
12 But if you have WD, you are lucky...
13
14 One more thing: the latest revision of nForce4 (which can be found
15 on latest and rather expensive boards) has fixed it. Unfortunatelly,
16 one can not know which chipset revision is used on a certain mobo,
17 until you buy it, dismount cooler, and check chipset...
18
19 Jarry
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list