From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: nForce chipsets (was: Re: [gentoo-user] VIA K8M890/K8M880 (VT8251) supported?)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 22:32:55
1 On Saturday 25 March 2006 15:59, Jarry <jarry@×××.net> wrote about 'Re:
2 [gentoo-user] VIA K8M890/K8M880 (VT8251) supported?':
3 > Norberto Bensa wrote:
4 > I did. Bought nForce4-based board. Got stuck with sata-II drives
5 > (lock-ups, crushes, out-of-sync, both in linux and in windows).
6 > It is a buggy chipset, has problems with nearly all sata-II drives
7 > (tried Seagate and Samsung) and nvidia does not care a sh*t...
8
9 Odd, my nforce4 board has not encountered any issues since I bought it last
10 year. It successfully drives my WD Raptors and SATA CD/DVD-RW.
11
12 I've not been using dmraid, although the board is supposedly supported.
13
14 Although, I do have to say that I prefer my Areca 1160 -- Battery backed-up
15 cache so I can enable write caching, and real hw raid. It drives my 5
16 Hitachi 7K500s -- though the Hitachi actually ship with SATA-II disabled
17 because they had issues with poor controller support and I have not used a
18 real-mode OS to set them to use SATA-II, yet. (They are freakin' fast as
19 is.)
20
21 I occurs to me that perhaps the Raptors are also only using SATA-I, as
22 well, I really don't know how to check that.
25 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
26 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
27 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
28 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list