From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Corrupt USB pen drive
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 12:33:50
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:50:07 +0100 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5
6 > I am getting the same errors as before:
7 > ==========================================
8 > # mount -t vfat -o loop /tmp/r1 /mnt/sda1
9 > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
10 > missing codepage or other error
11 > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
12 > dmesg | tail or so
13 > ==========================================
14 >
15 > No matter if I use vfat, msdos, or ntfs. It seems to me that I need
16 > to reconstruct the hex of the partition table - but don't know how to
17 > do this and testdisk does not see the device to recover previous
18 > partition tables.
19
20 I'm pretty sure someone borked the first sectors of that stick. It
21 might have contained a partition table at some point in the past, and
22 the partition table might be gone now (HD mode). But there is also the
23 possibility that there wasn't a partition table but just a single
24 filesystem on the stick (superfloppy mode).
25
26 My suggestion is to take a hex editor and search for the start of a
27 partition. Most partition types are easily recognizable by some magic
28 bytes. It would, however, help a lot if you could tell what kind of
29 filesystem there was. If you found the start of the filesystem, just
30 use dd again and skip the bytes until the real start of the FS. You can
31 then mount the resulting file (w/o partitioning and such).
32
33 Did you try the recovery tools for the FS in question?
34
35 -hwh
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list