From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Well, I went about updating my system again. (day 6)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 21:20:57
1 On 2016-12-07, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Your problem is that the box seems to have not been updated in a
4 > long while. That is always tricky.
5
6 That's putting it mildly. Gentoo works far, far better if you update
7 frequently. On most systems I update a couple times a week. Those
8 systems have been mostly trouble free for many, many years.
9
10 OTOH, there have been a couple systems where I didn't update for 6+
11 months. That rarely went smoothly, and took _way_ more time than a
12 fresh install would have. [But sometimes you head-butt your way
13 through the wall just to prove you can.]
14
15 IMO, if you only want to update a system once or twice a year, Gentoo
16 is not a good choice -- unless you just want to do a fresh install
17 each time. In my experience, a fresh install is usually far less work
18 than an update after an extended period of time. But, doing a "fresh
19 install" as an upgrade takes a bit of planning and orginization.
20
21 > The solution is always the copious use of patience and
22 > understanding. Your sledgehammer approach is going to result in
23 > vast amounts of pain.
26 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Gibble, Gobble, we
27 at ACCEPT YOU ...
28 gmail.com