From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Well, I went about updating my system again. (day 6)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 22:19:43
1 On Wednesday 07 Dec 2016 21:20:27 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2016-12-07, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Your problem is that the box seems to have not been updated in a
4 > > long while. That is always tricky.
5 >
6 > That's putting it mildly. Gentoo works far, far better if you update
7 > frequently. On most systems I update a couple times a week. Those
8 > systems have been mostly trouble free for many, many years.
9
10 Over the last couple of years I only update once a week and a couple of older
11 systems I only update every fortnight. Usually there are no unresolvable
12 problems, or breakages. Occasionally I have to change a USE flag for the odd
13 package, but emerge will let me know when this is required.
14
15 I think Alan G. can keep using his infamous script and get to keep the pieces,
16 after all it is his OS and he's entitled to do as he pleases with it, but I
17 would suggest:
18
19 1. Use your script once a week, contrary to all advice dispensed in this M/L
20 and just because you want to.
21 2. If problems show up, forget the script and use 'emerge -avuND world' as Mr.
22 McKinnon suggested. In most cases this will resolve any conflicts on its own.
23 You could add '--backtrack=90' if there are unresolved conflicts to get portage
24 to try harder.
25 3. If you still get a problem (not with your script, please) report back with
26 the error shown and some kind soul will suggest a way forward.
29 Regards,
30 Mick