From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Permissions of /etc/sudoers
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:15:55
1 Heiko Wundram wrote:
2 > Am Montag 09 Februar 2009 13:37:31 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
3 >> Stroller wrote:
4 >>> I install sudo, give my user wide sudo rights and then set
5 >>> "PermitRootLogin no" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
6 >>> (Critique of this measure welcomed).
7 >> Since Hung already answered about the other problem, I'll just comment
8 >> on this.
9 >>
10 >> It's a bad idea if the machine is open to the Internet, especially since
11 >> it's easy to simply "su -" or "sudo" as a normal user.
12 >
13 > Sorry, but I consider that to be BS advice (at least concerning that you want
14 > to leave password-authentication open).
15 >
16 > I'd always recommend disabling root login for ssh (as soon as that is
17 > possible, i.e. you have an unpriviledged account who is in group wheel who you
18 > can use to access the machine in question), because root is a "well-known"
19 > user (and thus lends itself well to a [possibly distributed] ssh brute force).
20
21 Er, didn't I actually say the same? If other people have network access
22 to the machine, disable root. You misunderstood something.