From: Heiko Wundram <heiko@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Permissions of /etc/sudoers
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:21:59
1 Am Montag 09 Februar 2009 14:15:35 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
2 > Heiko Wundram wrote:
3 > > Am Montag 09 Februar 2009 13:37:31 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
4 > >> Stroller wrote:
5 > >>> I install sudo, give my user wide sudo rights and then set
6 > >>> "PermitRootLogin no" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
7 > >>> (Critique of this measure welcomed).
8 > >>
9 > >> Since Hung already answered about the other problem, I'll just comment
10 > >> on this.
11 > >>
12 > >> It's a bad idea if the machine is open to the Internet, especially since
13 > >> it's easy to simply "su -" or "sudo" as a normal user.
14 > ...
15 > Er, didn't I actually say the same? If other people have network access
16 > to the machine, disable root. You misunderstood something.
17
18 Err, no, you didn't say the same, at least not considering your quote (I
19 didn't read the OP):
20
21 Reading the above, you said that "PermitRootLogin no" is a bad idea (i.e.,
22 disabling root login via SSH is a bad idea), whereas I said the exact opposite
23 (and you meant the exact opposite).
24
25 But, as you meant the same as me, forget what I said or just take my rant as a
26 clarification of your point. ;-)
29 Heiko Wundram
30 Gehrkens.IT GmbH
31
32 FON 0511-59027953 | http://www.gehrkens.it
33 FAX 0511-59027957 | http://www.xencon.net
34
35 Gehrkens.IT GmbH
36 Strasse der Nationen 5
37 30539 Hannover
38
39 Registergericht: Amtsgericht Hannover, HRB 200551
40 Geschäftsführer: Harald Gehrkens, Daniel Netzer