From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 00:43:10
1 On Saturday 28 July 2012 21:19:44 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > I use both:
4
5 Me too (sorry), though I find myself using oldconfig more often than
6 menuconfig these days, unless I want to comb right through the config
7 looking for things I could improve.
8
9 > first oldconfig to find the newly added stuff...then menuconfig, mostly
10 > looking for driver pages that have lots of things set - I can't
11 > possibly have all of that hardware so logically few things must be
12 > set. menuconfig also lets me easily see things I hve never explicitly
13 > set (which oldconfig can't do) and labels them (NEW) which is
14 > distinctly different to what oldconfig calls new stuff
15
16 Is it really? I thought they ought to be the same. And the only snag
17 with menuconfig for finding new options is that you have to navigate every
18 single menu - quite time-consuming*.
19
20 > And in menuconfig, the / key engages search, just like in vim
21
22 Ah. I knew about the ? key since it's in the prompt. Seems I can drop
23 the shift. Ta.
24
25 * Speaking of consuming time, would someone with an i7 please tell me
26 how long it takes to compile a new kernel? I'd like to compare it with
27 my i5, which after mrproper and copying the .config in from /boot, where
28 I store it for safe keeping, was 2 min 7 sec just now. (This is related
29 to another thread; perhaps I should have asked this there instead.)
32 Rgds
33 Peter