From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up shorewall
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 06:23:29
1 On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 2:59 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Hello list,
5 >
6 > I've been using shorewall happily for many years, but now I have a LAN
7 > setup
8 > that the docs seem not to cover. The new web-server box I mentioned
9 > recently
10 > has two Ethernet ports, which I want to connect as follows:
11 >
12 > Port 1 (enp1s0) will be connected to a spare port on my vDSL modem/router
13 > and be accessible from outside. An HTTP hole* will be opened in the router
14 > for this.
15 >
16 > Port 2 (enp2s0) is connected to my LAN switch, which is connected in turn
18 > another port on the vDSL modem, which has no holes open to this port. Once
19 > the server goes into service this interface will be down most of the time.
20 >
21 > I want to ensure that no bridging occurs between the two ports in the web
22 > server.
25 The term "bridging" implies layer 2 forwarding, like what a hub or switch
26 does. You have to do a little work to set that up, so it wont happen by
27 accident.
28
29 Routing, at layer 3, just requires /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward to be set
30 to 1. However since you're allowing connections to the webserver, any
31 compromise of that webserver means that any network connected to the
32 webserver is available without restriction. This is why webservers are
33 typically put in a DMZ, and a firewall used to connect the outside, the DMZ
34 and the inside.
35
36 For HTTPS, get a LetsEntrypt cert.
37
38 FWIW i'm running my home system pretty much the way you propose, and AFAICT
39 i haven't been compromised...but there's little of value there.