From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up shorewall
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 08:06:30
1 On Thursday 30 Mar 2017 17:23:13 Adam Carter wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 2:59 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > > Hello list,
6 > >
7 > > I've been using shorewall happily for many years, but now I have a LAN
8 > > setup
9 > > that the docs seem not to cover. The new web-server box I mentioned
10 > > recently
11 > > has two Ethernet ports, which I want to connect as follows:
12 > >
13 > > Port 1 (enp1s0) will be connected to a spare port on my vDSL
14 > > modem/router
15 > > and be accessible from outside. An HTTP hole* will be opened in the
16 > > router for this.
17 > >
18 > > Port 2 (enp2s0) is connected to my LAN switch, which is connected in
19 > > turn
21 > > another port on the vDSL modem, which has no holes open to this port.
22 > > Once the server goes into service this interface will be down most of
23 > > the time.
24 > >
25 > > I want to ensure that no bridging occurs between the two ports in the
26 > > web
27 > > server.
28 >
29 > The term "bridging" implies layer 2 forwarding, like what a hub or switch
30 > does. You have to do a little work to set that up, so it wont happen by
31 > accident.
32 >
33 > Routing, at layer 3, just requires /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward to be set
34 > to 1. However since you're allowing connections to the webserver, any
35 > compromise of that webserver means that any network connected to the
36 > webserver is available without restriction. This is why webservers are
37 > typically put in a DMZ, and a firewall used to connect the outside, the
38 > DMZ and the inside.
39
40 Yes, I understand that last.
41
42 > For HTTPS, get a LetsEntrypt cert.
43
44 Ah! Thanks for the pointer. I'll follow it up.
45
46 > FWIW i'm running my home system pretty much the way you propose, and
47 > AFAICT i haven't been compromised...but there's little of value there.
48
49 A little confidence, then. Thanks for that too.
52 Regards
53 Peter