From: Martins Steinbergs <mar@××.lv>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird pauses making me nuts
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:56:57
1 On Monday 31 October 2005 18:24, Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > Hey, all,
3 >
4 > Sorry that this will not be an extremely clear question, but I really
5 > have no idea where to start, or what the problem is.
6 >
7 > Basically, my system is running "fine" (no overt problems), but about
8 > every 30 seconds or so, it 'pauses' to do something, and I have to wait
9 > for 5-10 seconds while it does it before I can go further. Or the
10 > display pauses, and I have to wait for the redraw , I can't tell which.
11 >
12 > The system is still running during these pauses, but if I'm typing this
13 > mail, for example, the letters I typed during the pause will not appear
14 > until the system resumes (or resumes displaying). If I then backspace
15 > to remove the typos I made when I couldn't see what I was typing, if a
16 > pause occurs during the repeated backspace hitting, I have to stop and
17 > wait, since I can't know where the cursor actually is until it again
18 > active.
19 >
20 > Gkrellm's animated displays pause during the pauses as well (which is a
21 > bit useful, so that I know when they're happening). Changing desktops is
22 > delayed, Page down in word processors is delayed, activities in the
23 > console are delayed. Heck, even dragging cards around in AisleRiot is
24 > delayed by these stupid unattributable pauses.
25 >
26 > Memory and CPU use are not bizarre, I have a lot of processes going, but
27 > nothing weird or unexpected seems to be running if I can trust top and
28 > gnome-system-monitor. Since all the problems seem to be related to the X
29 > server, maybe it's an X problem; I'm currently using the VESA driver, as
30 > I wanted to get a clean install of the new ATI drivers when I compile
31 > the next kernel (2.13-r5, I'm using 2.13-r4 atm). I'm not using
32 > anything but 2D applications atm, though (of course, since I have no
33 > 3D-capable drivers available). But maybe it's a kernel scheduling
34 > problem. Or maybe gamin sucks, halting the whole system while it updates
35 > the file tree.
36 >
37 > I really have no idea, and if it wasn't so very annoying, I wouldn't
38 > post such a formless plea for help, but if this rings a bell with
39 > anyone, I'd appreciate a nudge/push/shove in the right direction.
40 >
41 > Thanks,
42 > Holly
43
44 sounds like no DMA enabled
45
46 mar bin # hdparm /dev/hdb
47
48 /dev/hdb:
49 multcount = 16 (on)
50 IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
51 unmaskirq = 1 (on)
52 -->>>>using_dma = 1 (on)
53 keepsettings = 0 (off)
54 readonly = 0 (off)
55 readahead = 256 (on)
56 geometry = 19929/255/63, sectors = 320173056, start = 0
59 martins
64 Linux 2.6.13 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
65 18:47:06 up 3:55, 5 users, load average: 0.10, 0.22, 0.51
66 --
67 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list