From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Weird pauses making me nuts
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:31:00
1 Hey, all,
2
3 Sorry that this will not be an extremely clear question, but I really
4 have no idea where to start, or what the problem is.
5
6 Basically, my system is running "fine" (no overt problems), but about
7 every 30 seconds or so, it 'pauses' to do something, and I have to wait
8 for 5-10 seconds while it does it before I can go further. Or the
9 display pauses, and I have to wait for the redraw , I can't tell which.
10
11 The system is still running during these pauses, but if I'm typing this
12 mail, for example, the letters I typed during the pause will not appear
13 until the system resumes (or resumes displaying). If I then backspace
14 to remove the typos I made when I couldn't see what I was typing, if a
15 pause occurs during the repeated backspace hitting, I have to stop and
16 wait, since I can't know where the cursor actually is until it again active.
17
18 Gkrellm's animated displays pause during the pauses as well (which is a
19 bit useful, so that I know when they're happening). Changing desktops is
20 delayed, Page down in word processors is delayed, activities in the
21 console are delayed. Heck, even dragging cards around in AisleRiot is
22 delayed by these stupid unattributable pauses.
23
24 Memory and CPU use are not bizarre, I have a lot of processes going, but
25 nothing weird or unexpected seems to be running if I can trust top and
26 gnome-system-monitor. Since all the problems seem to be related to the X
27 server, maybe it's an X problem; I'm currently using the VESA driver, as
28 I wanted to get a clean install of the new ATI drivers when I compile
29 the next kernel (2.13-r5, I'm using 2.13-r4 atm). I'm not using
30 anything but 2D applications atm, though (of course, since I have no
31 3D-capable drivers available). But maybe it's a kernel scheduling
32 problem. Or maybe gamin sucks, halting the whole system while it updates
33 the file tree.
34
35 I really have no idea, and if it wasn't so very annoying, I wouldn't
36 post such a formless plea for help, but if this rings a bell with
37 anyone, I'd appreciate a nudge/push/shove in the right direction.
38
39 Thanks,
40 Holly
41 --