From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird pauses making me nuts
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 04:14:46
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 >Hey, all,
4 >
5 >Sorry that this will not be an extremely clear question, but I really
6 >have no idea where to start, or what the problem is.
7 >
8 >Basically, my system is running "fine" (no overt problems), but about
9 >every 30 seconds or so, it 'pauses' to do something, and I have to wait
10 >for 5-10 seconds while it does it before I can go further. Or the
11 >display pauses, and I have to wait for the redraw , I can't tell which.
15 The only time I have similar state with my system is when VMware (which
16 runs at niceness -10 (!!)) writes out a suspended session
17 file...basically a high priority process writing a massive amount of
18 data to a relatively slow device.
19
20 So a couple of things come to mind....
21
22 1. Check your dmesg and /var/log/messages files and make sure your disk
23 controller isn't going through resets. Disk controller resets will clog
24 up the whole system, IME.
25
26 2. Similarly, run "smartctl -a" and check if you are getting fresh
27 errors reported by the hard drive.
28
29 3. Try fiddling with process priorities.
30
31 >Memory and CPU use are not bizarre, I have a lot of processes going, but
32 >nothing weird or unexpected seems to be running if I can trust top and
33 >gnome-system-monitor. Since all the problems seem to be related to the X
34 >server, maybe it's an X problem; I'm currently using the VESA driver, as
35 >I wanted to get a clean install of the new ATI drivers when I compile
39 Ugh, the VESA driver is horribly slow, IME. You would be much better
40 off using the radeon driver I think.
41
42 FYI, I just tried ati-drivers-8.18.8 with kernel 2.6.14, and it builds
43 fine. I haven't tried using it yet though. You need to accept ~x86 to
44 get 8.18.8.
45
46 -Richard
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list