From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird pauses making me nuts
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 04:40:40
1 Hi, sorry about the late reply, but I didn't see the OP
2
3 Holly Bostick wrote:
4
5 > Sorry that this will not be an extremely clear question, but I really
6 > have no idea where to start, or what the problem is.
7
8 that will just bring you in line with some of my questions :)
9
10 > Basically, my system is running "fine" (no overt problems), but about
11 > every 30 seconds or so, it 'pauses' to do something, and I have to wait
12 > for 5-10 seconds while it does it before I can go further. Or the
13 > display pauses, and I have to wait for the redraw , I can't tell which.
14
15 A friend had a problem similar to this, it turned out to be acpi (or
16 apm?) and his gnome battery applet. Every time the battery applet
17 polled for battery level, the system froze for 1-2 seconds.
18
19 So, you could try running a fail safe X session (no extras) and see if
20 it still happens. If so, try something from the command line (no X) and
21 see if it still happens...
22
23 HTH,
24 --