From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird pauses making me nuts
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:51:30
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:24:26 +0100
4 Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
5
6 > Basically, my system is running "fine" (no overt problems), but about
7 > every 30 seconds or so, it 'pauses' to do something, and I have to wait
8 > for 5-10 seconds while it does it before I can go further. Or the
9 > display pauses, and I have to wait for the redraw , I can't tell which.
10
11 It all gets down to the question whether it "stays" in Userland or in
12 Kernel context in such a situation. If this happens in Userland, CPU
13 utilization will probably be high in such a situation and it must be
14 due to a high priority process when X is that much slowed down - which
15 itself is already running at high prio.
16
17 So I very much guess it's a kernel issue. Compiling a fresh new one
18 would be my first advice.
19
20 BTW, are you using any kernel based network filesystems (NFS, Samba,
21 ncpfs), FUSE, or PPP? The trick here would be to simply selectively
22 disable each one of these and watch if it keeps happening.
23
24 -hwh
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list