From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird pauses making me nuts
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:18:09
1 Hans-Werner Hilse schreef:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:24:26 +0100 Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
5 > wrote:
8 >> Basically, my system is running "fine" (no overt problems), but
9 >> about every 30 seconds or so, it 'pauses' to do something, and I
10 >> have to wait for 5-10 seconds while it does it before I can go
11 >> further. Or the display pauses, and I have to wait for the redraw ,
12 >> I can't tell which.
15 > It all gets down to the question whether it "stays" in Userland or in
16 > Kernel context in such a situation. If this happens in Userland, CPU
17 > utilization will probably be high in such a situation and it must be
18 > due to a high priority process when X is that much slowed down -
19 > which itself is already running at high prio.
20 >
21 > So I very much guess it's a kernel issue. Compiling a fresh new one
22 > would be my first advice.
23
24 Thanks for the tip; this is my first experience with 2.6.13, and I know
25 that it's not 'perfect' as yet. What was really suggesting to me that it
26 might be a kernel scheduling issue (aside from the fact that I know that
27 kernel scheduling issues are coming rapidly to a boil in several areas),
28 is that nothing has particularly changed on my system, inosfar as I have
29 run several high-priority processes concurrently under X with previous
30 kernels, but have not noticed this issue under, say, 2.6.12.
31
32 If this is a kenel issue, is 2.6.13-r5 likely to be any better than -r4?
33 I can't go to 2.6.14 since the ATI drivers won't compile under it, afaik
34 (that was the situation a couple of days ago, and I haven't checked to
35 see if the current 'unofficial' (?) patch has made it into any of the
36 trees yet). What could I do to minimize the problem (are any of the
37 schedulers set by default so "icky" that I should disable them, for
38 example)?
39 >
40 > BTW, are you using any kernel based network filesystems (NFS, Samba,
41 > ncpfs), FUSE, or PPP? The trick here would be to simply selectively
42 > disable each one of these and watch if it keeps happening.
45 Yes, I am using Samba, but it doesn't work all of a sudden (at least
46 from my end; it works from my bf's end, so I have to ask him to copy
47 files from my PC, because I can't reach his PC to do it myself;
48 connection times out. But he may have screwed up something in the
49 network, for all I know; I simply haven't had the time to check, though
50 the issue is moving slowly yet steadily up the chain of priority). But,
51 similar to my suspicion of gamin, it did occur to me that Samba could be
52 trying to connect behind the scenes, and repeatedly failing.
53
54 Anyway, I'm not going to be able to compile 2.6.13-r5 for a day or two
55 (well, I can compile it, but I won't be able to boot to it for a day or
56 two, so I'm not compiling it yet), so any other tips for special
57 treatment of the kernel or anything else are still more than welcome.
58
59 Holly
60 --
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list