From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:03:33
1 On 01/02/12 12:47, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >
3 > Again, 'equery depends' will tell you if any package locatable through
4 > the @world hierarchy needs the package. No need to uninstall anything
5 > to do that level of investigation. revdep-rebuild -I is also useful,
6 > although more historically than now.
9 This was essentially Michal Mol's suggestion, and I gave an example
10 where it would remove something important.
13 > Really, the proposal to 'fix --update' doesn't address really knowing
14 > what your system is running and why. Get to the root of that and the
15 > --update thing becomes the non-issue that many of us think it is.
18 This would be a suggestion to travel back in time and document something
19 that I have no way of knowing now.