From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:50:12
1 On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/02/12 12:06, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >>
4 >> That's the purpose of the "emerge -p" step. Presumably, you would see
5 >> that there's a package in the list that you're not comfortable with
6 >> removing, you'd decide you didn't want it removed, and you'd add it
7 >> back to your world set.
8 >
9 > Yeah, I'm not sure I can remove any of them. The only way I see to
10 > determine what's necessary at this point is to remove it and see if
11 > stuff breaks.
14 Again, 'equery depends' will tell you if any package locatable through
15 the @world hierarchy needs the package. No need to uninstall anything
16 to do that level of investigation. revdep-rebuild -I is also useful,
17 although more historically than now.
20 >> If you're not comfortable removing *any* package that's in your world
21 >> set, then, no, there's no way to tell the difference. From this point
22 >> forward, your best bet is to modify EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS to reflect the
23 >> safest practice for your environment. And start keeping a list of
24 >> packages installed to meet customers' requests. Portage apparently
25 >> supports your desired workflow, but it needs to be set up for it.
26 >>
27 >> As to recovering from your current scenario...there might be some way
28 >> to watch your apache processes to identify which files get used over a
29 >> three-month span, from that list derive a list of which packages were
30 >> used, and from *that* list, derive a list of which packages weren't
31 >> used. (Or make an ebuild explicitly identifying the utilized
32 >> dependencies, and let depclean handle the rest)
33 >
34 > That's probably more work than copying everything to another box,
35 > emptying the world file, and adding things back until stuff works.
36 >
37 > Either way the current situation is "you're kinda screwed" which is why
38 > I proposed avoiding it in the future (for others, too) by fixing --update.
41 Really, the proposal to 'fix --update' doesn't address really knowing
42 what your system is running and why. Get to the root of that and the
43 --update thing becomes the non-issue that many of us think it is.
44
45 - Mark