From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:40:20
1 On 01/02/12 12:06, Michael Mol wrote:
2 >
3 > That's the purpose of the "emerge -p" step. Presumably, you would see
4 > that there's a package in the list that you're not comfortable with
5 > removing, you'd decide you didn't want it removed, and you'd add it
6 > back to your world set.
7
8 Yeah, I'm not sure I can remove any of them. The only way I see to
9 determine what's necessary at this point is to remove it and see if
10 stuff breaks.
13 > If you're not comfortable removing *any* package that's in your world
14 > set, then, no, there's no way to tell the difference. From this point
15 > forward, your best bet is to modify EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS to reflect the
16 > safest practice for your environment. And start keeping a list of
17 > packages installed to meet customers' requests. Portage apparently
18 > supports your desired workflow, but it needs to be set up for it.
19 >
20 > As to recovering from your current scenario...there might be some way
21 > to watch your apache processes to identify which files get used over a
22 > three-month span, from that list derive a list of which packages were
23 > used, and from *that* list, derive a list of which packages weren't
24 > used. (Or make an ebuild explicitly identifying the utilized
25 > dependencies, and let depclean handle the rest)
26
27 That's probably more work than copying everything to another box,
28 emptying the world file, and adding things back until stuff works.
29
30 Either way the current situation is "you're kinda screwed" which is why
31 I proposed avoiding it in the future (for others, too) by fixing --update.