From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:46:37
1 On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/02/12 12:06, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >>
4 >> That's the purpose of the "emerge -p" step. Presumably, you would see
5 >> that there's a package in the list that you're not comfortable with
6 >> removing, you'd decide you didn't want it removed, and you'd add it
7 >> back to your world set.
8 >
9 > Yeah, I'm not sure I can remove any of them. The only way I see to
10 > determine what's necessary at this point is to remove it and see if
11 > stuff breaks.
14 >> If you're not comfortable removing *any* package that's in your world
15 >> set, then, no, there's no way to tell the difference. From this point
16 >> forward, your best bet is to modify EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS to reflect the
17 >> safest practice for your environment. And start keeping a list of
18 >> packages installed to meet customers' requests. Portage apparently
19 >> supports your desired workflow, but it needs to be set up for it.
20 >>
21 >> As to recovering from your current scenario...there might be some way
22 >> to watch your apache processes to identify which files get used over a
23 >> three-month span, from that list derive a list of which packages were
24 >> used, and from *that* list, derive a list of which packages weren't
25 >> used. (Or make an ebuild explicitly identifying the utilized
26 >> dependencies, and let depclean handle the rest)
27 >
28 > That's probably more work than copying everything to another box,
29 > emptying the world file, and adding things back until stuff works.
30 >
31 > Either way the current situation is "you're kinda screwed" which is why
32 > I proposed avoiding it in the future (for others, too) by fixing --update.
33
34 I hope you don't take this as a kind of disrespect, but this really
35 feels more like administrator error than tool error. As someone else
36 remarked, it's portage's job to do what you tell it to do; you point
37 the gun, pull the trigger, it delivers the projectile.
38
39 The biggest bug I can see in this whole mess is that the man page
40 might stand some editing for clarity.
43 :wq