From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:58:13
1 On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 01/02/12 12:06, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> That's the purpose of the "emerge -p" step. Presumably, you would see
6 >>> that there's a package in the list that you're not comfortable with
7 >>> removing, you'd decide you didn't want it removed, and you'd add it
8 >>> back to your world set.
9 >>
10 >> Yeah, I'm not sure I can remove any of them. The only way I see to
11 >> determine what's necessary at this point is to remove it and see if
12 >> stuff breaks.
15 > Again, 'equery depends' will tell you if any package locatable through
16 > the @world hierarchy needs the package. No need to uninstall anything
17 > to do that level of investigation. revdep-rebuild -I is also useful,
18 > although more historically than now.
19
20 The problem is that he won't know which atoms in his current world set
21 are necessarily depended upon by other packages vs the ones which are
22 requested by his customers' request. (Portage knows nothing about his
23 customers' requests; it only knows he installed packages at one point
24 or another.)
25
26 [snip]
30 :wq