From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 15:20:15
1 On 2013-01-07, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I'm not sure that is a bug. As I posted earlier, this was changed a
4 > good while back. There was a reason for it but I can't recall what it
5 > was. The new devices for CD/DVDs is /dev/sr*.
6
7 It's been something like 6-8 years hasn't it?
8
9 > I don't have, and have
10 > not had, /dev/cdrom or dvd on this rig for a good while and it works. I
11 > think this happened about the same time as the hard drive devices were
12 > changed from hd* to sd* even for old IDE drives.
13
14 IIRC, the IDE CDROM devices moved over to the SCSI subsystem some time
15 before IDE hard drives did -- but it's been a while...
16
17 > Since it was changed on purpose, I don't believe this is a bug.
18
19 Yes, it was an intentional change. I haven't seen a /dev/hd* device
20 for years and years.
23 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I joined scientology
24 at at a garage sale!!
25 gmail.com