From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 01:24:20
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>> Maybe this post will save someone else some time.
5 >> Thanks Mark, but why do we have to make this file changes ourselves? Isn't it
6 >> a bug?
7 >>
8 >> PS. I also have cd & dvd /dev links missing.
9 >> --
10 >> Regards,
11 >> Mick
12 > I'd say it's a bug. Waiting for it to get officially fixed meant my
13 > wife couldn't easily watch a dvd without starting to understand /dev
14 > which I didn't think was fair to her. I'm not suggesting what I did
15 > was 'the best way', etc.
16 >
17 > Anyway, I suspect between my and Dave's posts some folks will be able
18 > to make things work a bit better until an official solution shows up.
19 > In my now nearly 10 years with Gentoo I'd never spent 5 minutes
20 > looking at what udev provides. So many people knock it recently. I
21 > thought it time to learn a little before it disappears.
22 >
23 > Cheers,
24 > Mar
29 I'm not sure that is a bug. As I posted earlier, this was changed a
30 good while back. There was a reason for it but I can't recall what it
31 was. The new devices for CD/DVDs is /dev/sr*. I don't have, and have
32 not had, /dev/cdrom or dvd on this rig for a good while and it works. I
33 think this happened about the same time as the hard drive devices were
34 changed from hd* to sd* even for old IDE drives. Since it was changed
35 on purpose, I don't believe this is a bug.
36
37 Dale
38
42 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!