From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 15:56:56
1 On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >> Maybe this post will save someone else some time.
4 >
5 > Thanks Mark, but why do we have to make this file changes ourselves? Isn't it
6 > a bug?
7 >
8 > PS. I also have cd & dvd /dev links missing.
9 > --
10 > Regards,
11 > Mick
12
13 I'd say it's a bug. Waiting for it to get officially fixed meant my
14 wife couldn't easily watch a dvd without starting to understand /dev
15 which I didn't think was fair to her. I'm not suggesting what I did
16 was 'the best way', etc.
17
18 Anyway, I suspect between my and Dave's posts some folks will be able
19 to make things work a bit better until an official solution shows up.
20 In my now nearly 10 years with Gentoo I'd never spent 5 minutes
21 looking at what udev provides. So many people knock it recently. I
22 thought it time to learn a little before it disappears.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Mar