From: Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: startx fails launching KDE 4
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 02:49:33
1 On 2008-11-21, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > "Andrey Vul" <andrey.vul@×××××.com> writes:
5 > >
6 > >> Host lookup has nothing to do with this.
7 > >> Last time I checked, kde doesn't do anything with dnsdomainname.
8 > >> Also, I don't even have /etc/{init.d,conf.d}/domainname .
9 > >
10 > > It must have some amount to do with it:
11 > >
12 > > >>> hostname: Host name lookup failure
13 > >
14 > > Was the first line of the log. It may not be a significant issue or
15 > > the reason kde is balking but apparently there is a host lookup
16 > > involved. Sorry its not what you needed.
19 > I see now that the host lookup is only to insert information into the
20 > log so indeed does not have bearing on the problem.
21 > Sorry to have wasted your time.
22
23 If I get a warning message and everything works perfectly then I ignore it.
24 Example: cannot find hostname.
25
26 The problem is somehow related broken dbus + segfaulting X.
27
28 And I can't fix either.
31 Andrey Vul
32
33 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
34 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
35 A: Top-posting.
36 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?