From: ny6p01@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-drivers vs. nouveau
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:41:03
1 On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:09:16AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:36:06 -0500
3 > Canek Pel?ez Vald?s <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger
6 > > <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
7 > > > Am 11.04.2012 23:16, schrieb ny6p01@×××××.com:
8 > > >
9 > > >> I use the nouveau drivers because they update themselves when you
10 > > >> update the kernel, and there's less work involved in keeping
11 > > >> everything up to date. But I can't comment on the nvidia drivers
12 > > >> since I've never tried them. Nouveau works well enough for me.
13 > > >
14 > > > See my other reply: Nikos hit the point.
15 > >
16 > > I actually changed to nouveau because the desktop performance of
17 > > nvidia-drivers sucked at the time. I still use nvidia-drivers in my
18 > > media center (because of VDPAU), but in my desktop I changed about
19 > > year and a half ago, and I'm pretty happy with it.
20 > >
21 > > Before that, I used nvidia-drivers for many years, and it was always
22 > > full of ups and downs; some versions worked great, others were barely
23 > > usable. The nouveau drivers have been consistently good, even for
24 > > small 3D use (things like Blender).
25 > >
26 > > If you don't use (modern) games, I highly recommend the nouveau
27 > > drivers. For a modern desktop they work great.
28 >
29 > I'll second that. I don't need blazing fast 3D performance, I do need
30 > stable drivers that keep pace with kernel releases. I got tired of
31 > having to remember to fully test nvidia-drivers every time I did a
32 > kernel upgrade so switched to nouveau.
33 >
34 > That was the previous laptop. This current one has an ATI card and I
35 > use ati drivers rather than fglrx for the same reason.
36 >
37 > The other killer was that I could never get nvidia-drivers to deal with
38 > a multi-monitor setup in any kind of sane fashion. nVidia does do
39 > multi-monitor, it just wants to present it in a way that made no sense
40 > to me at all. Even something as simple as unplugging my desk monitor
41 > and going to a meeting room to do a presentation on the projector
42 > required an X restart.
43
44 Yes, nouveau is very adept at juggling monitors.
45
46 Terry