From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-drivers vs. nouveau
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 07:13:18
1 On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:36:06 -0500
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger
5 > <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
6 > > Am 11.04.2012 23:16, schrieb ny6p01@×××××.com:
7 > >
8 > >> I use the nouveau drivers because they update themselves when you
9 > >> update the kernel, and there's less work involved in keeping
10 > >> everything up to date. But I can't comment on the nvidia drivers
11 > >> since I've never tried them. Nouveau works well enough for me.
12 > >
13 > > See my other reply: Nikos hit the point.
14 >
15 > I actually changed to nouveau because the desktop performance of
16 > nvidia-drivers sucked at the time. I still use nvidia-drivers in my
17 > media center (because of VDPAU), but in my desktop I changed about
18 > year and a half ago, and I'm pretty happy with it.
19 >
20 > Before that, I used nvidia-drivers for many years, and it was always
21 > full of ups and downs; some versions worked great, others were barely
22 > usable. The nouveau drivers have been consistently good, even for
23 > small 3D use (things like Blender).
24 >
25 > If you don't use (modern) games, I highly recommend the nouveau
26 > drivers. For a modern desktop they work great.
27
28 I'll second that. I don't need blazing fast 3D performance, I do need
29 stable drivers that keep pace with kernel releases. I got tired of
30 having to remember to fully test nvidia-drivers every time I did a
31 kernel upgrade so switched to nouveau.
32
33 That was the previous laptop. This current one has an ATI card and I
34 use ati drivers rather than fglrx for the same reason.
35
36 The other killer was that I could never get nvidia-drivers to deal with
37 a multi-monitor setup in any kind of sane fashion. nVidia does do
38 multi-monitor, it just wants to present it in a way that made no sense
39 to me at all. Even something as simple as unplugging my desk monitor
40 and going to a meeting room to do a presentation on the projector
41 required an X restart.
44 Alan McKinnnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com