From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-drivers vs. nouveau
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 21:42:04
1 On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Am 11.04.2012 23:16, schrieb ny6p01@×××××.com:
3 >
4 >> I use the nouveau drivers because they update themselves when you update the
5 >> kernel, and there's less work involved in keeping everything up to date. But
6 >> I can't comment on the nvidia drivers since I've never tried them. Nouveau
7 >> works well enough for me.
8 >
9 > See my other reply: Nikos hit the point.
10
11 I actually changed to nouveau because the desktop performance of
12 nvidia-drivers sucked at the time. I still use nvidia-drivers in my
13 media center (because of VDPAU), but in my desktop I changed about
14 year and a half ago, and I'm pretty happy with it.
15
16 Before that, I used nvidia-drivers for many years, and it was always
17 full of ups and downs; some versions worked great, others were barely
18 usable. The nouveau drivers have been consistently good, even for
19 small 3D use (things like Blender).
20
21 If you don't use (modern) games, I highly recommend the nouveau
22 drivers. For a modern desktop they work great.
23
24 Regards.
25 --
26 Canek Peláez Valdés