From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-drivers vs. nouveau
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 04:10:03
1 On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >> Am 11.04.2012 23:16, schrieb ny6p01@×××××.com:
4 >>
5 >>> I use the nouveau drivers because they update themselves when you update the
6 >>> kernel, and there's less work involved in keeping everything up to date. But
7 >>> I can't comment on the nvidia drivers since I've never tried them. Nouveau
8 >>> works well enough for me.
9 >>
10 >> See my other reply: Nikos hit the point.
11 >
12 > I actually changed to nouveau because the desktop performance of
13 > nvidia-drivers sucked at the time. I still use nvidia-drivers in my
14 > media center (because of VDPAU), but in my desktop I changed about
15 > year and a half ago, and I'm pretty happy with it.
16 >
17 > Before that, I used nvidia-drivers for many years, and it was always
18 > full of ups and downs; some versions worked great, others were barely
19 > usable. The nouveau drivers have been consistently good, even for
20 > small 3D use (things like Blender).
21 >
22 > If you don't use (modern) games, I highly recommend the nouveau
23 > drivers. For a modern desktop they work great.
24
25 Relevant to the thread, I believe:
26
27 "Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Approaches Stable State"
28 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_linux_stable&num=1
29
30 Regards.
31 --