From: "Petr Vaněk" <arkamar@×××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python mess - random winge!
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 09:17:39
1 On Tue, Jul 05, 2022 at 08:56:11AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 5 Jul 2022 15:31:38 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >
4 > > I did read the news item and set the systems as above with multiple
5 > > python targets - there is no mention of python-exec and its role in
6 > > which python version is in use for packages that just call "python".
7 > > Perhaps I should have been clearer - what I see is with multiple python
8 > > targets present the python ebuild automatically selects the latest
9 > > version that is stable via python-exec - ok, some would want that.  But
10 > > what it should do is respect the users choice of running version and not
11 > > automaticly overide it without asking.  It looks like python-exec is the
12 > > controlling factor so I'll try CONFIG_PROTECTon that file and manually
13 > > manage it via ansible.
14 >
15 > It is already CONFIG_PROTECTed, I had to approve the changes in the usual
16 > way before they went ahead. What I find slightly odd is that this file is
17 > also managed by eselect-python, but that is not installed by default. I
18 > would have expected it to be part of @system.
19
20 This change is described in
21 https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2021-01-30-python-preference-to-follow-python-targets.html