From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python mess - random winge!
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 07:56:28
1 On Tue, 5 Jul 2022 15:31:38 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
2
3 > I did read the news item and set the systems as above with multiple
4 > python targets - there is no mention of python-exec and its role in
5 > which python version is in use for packages that just call "python".
6 > Perhaps I should have been clearer - what I see is with multiple python
7 > targets present the python ebuild automatically selects the latest
8 > version that is stable via python-exec - ok, some would want that.  But
9 > what it should do is respect the users choice of running version and not
10 > automaticly overide it without asking.  It looks like python-exec is the
11 > controlling factor so I'll try CONFIG_PROTECTon that file and manually
12 > manage it via ansible.
13
14 It is already CONFIG_PROTECTed, I had to approve the changes in the usual
15 way before they went ahead. What I find slightly odd is that this file is
16 also managed by eselect-python, but that is not installed by default. I
17 would have expected it to be part of @system.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Quick!! Act as if nothing has happened!