From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev update
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:42:38
1 On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > So, if I understood something, I will probably have to check this
4 > configuration entry every time I build a new kernel from now on, because
5 > "menuconfig" will probably set this on because of its dependencies, is this
6 > correct?
9 That depends on how you configure your kernels. If you start from
10 your last kernel config then the setting won't change. If you create
11 a new config every time, then it depends on how you're creating it.
12
13 Dependencies never cause something to be turned on or off. You have
14 that a bit backwards conceptually. KDE depends on glibc, which means
15 you can't install KDE if you don't have glibc present. That doesn't
16 mean that it is impossible to build a system which contains glibc and
17 not KDE.
18
19 Now, if you were talking about reverse-deps that would be another
20 matter. The kernel config tools won't let you disable a setting which
21 is a dependency of another setting, though I believe they generally
22 don't automatically turn things on either. Dependency-management in
23 the kernel is fairly primitive in general - it does a somewhat-decent
24 job of not letting you shoot yourself in the foot, as long as you
25 don't go manually editing .config files, but it can be a bit of a pain
26 turning on things that are missing dependencies. It definitely isn't
27 targeted at the "end user."
30 Rich