From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev update
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:19:40
1 2014-11-10 12:37 GMT-02:00 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2
3 > On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
4 > wrote:
5 > > On 11/10/2014 8:21 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >> Checking the news (eselect news read), I see that an upgrade to udev-217
7 > >> might break firmware loading, so the news tagged
8 > >> "2014-11-07-udev-upgrade" says that a kernel >= 3.7 should be
9 > configured to:
10 > >>
11 > >> CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER=n
12 > >>
13 > >> Is it that simple? Trying a new kernel build using "menuconfig", it
14 > >> says that CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER depends on CONFIG_FW_LOADER, and
15 > >> this one depends on a huge list of other configuration elements.
16 > >>
17 > >> Any thoughts?
18 > >
19 > > Ueah... UGH... thanks Lennart/systemd devs for yet another thing to have
20 > > to worry about...
23 > From the kernel config instructions (something not written by the systemd
24 > devs):
25 > This option enables / disables the invocation of user-helper
26 > (e.g. udev) for loading firmware files as a fallback after the
27 > direct file loading in kernel fails. The user-mode helper is
28 > no longer required unless you have a special firmware file that
29 > resides in a non-standard path. Moreover, the udev support has
30 > been deprecated upstream.
31 >
32 > Announcing a feature as deprecated and later dropping it is hardly
33 > controversial. You chose a distro that gives you a choice of things
34 > like your udev implementation and your kernel implementation (or using
35 > udev at all), and as a result you get to deal with the fact that some
36 > versions of the one have constraints on how you use the other. If you
37 > ran a distro like Ubuntu you wouldn't have to worry about any of this,
38 > as you'd use the udev they gave you and the precompiled kernel they
39 > gave you and the world's greatest desktop environment and you'd be
40 > happy with it. Anybody who has run Gentoo for a long time knows that
41 > from time to time some change comes along and you'll just have to deal
42 > with it - you can't just ignore things like firmware-loading on Gentoo
43 > the way you can with some other distros.
44 >
45 > Of course, nothing prevents anybody from creating a preconfigured
46 > kernel for Gentoo. There is genkernel of course, though I think we
47 > probably could do better. Most seem to be happy just managing their
48 > own kernel configurations, and I think that is why nobody has bothered
49 > to spend much time perfecting a canned kernel.
50 >
51 > Going back to the original question, yes - it is that simple.
52 > Dependencies are just dependencies - you only have to worry about them
53 > when you turn things ON.
54 >
55 > --
56 > Rich
60 Ok, I will try.
61
62 So, if I understood something, I will probably have to check this
63 configuration entry every time I build a new kernel from now on, because
64 "menuconfig" will probably set this on because of its dependencies, is this
65 correct?
66
67 Thanks!
68 Francisco