From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev update
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 14:37:33
1 On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 11/10/2014 8:21 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Checking the news (eselect news read), I see that an upgrade to udev-217
4 >> might break firmware loading, so the news tagged
5 >> "2014-11-07-udev-upgrade" says that a kernel >= 3.7 should be configured to:
6 >>
7 >> CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER=n
8 >>
9 >> Is it that simple? Trying a new kernel build using "menuconfig", it
10 >> says that CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER depends on CONFIG_FW_LOADER, and
11 >> this one depends on a huge list of other configuration elements.
12 >>
13 >> Any thoughts?
14 >
15 > Ueah... UGH... thanks Lennart/systemd devs for yet another thing to have
16 > to worry about...
19 From the kernel config instructions (something not written by the systemd devs):
20 This option enables / disables the invocation of user-helper
21 (e.g. udev) for loading firmware files as a fallback after the
22 direct file loading in kernel fails. The user-mode helper is
23 no longer required unless you have a special firmware file that
24 resides in a non-standard path. Moreover, the udev support has
25 been deprecated upstream.
26
27 Announcing a feature as deprecated and later dropping it is hardly
28 controversial. You chose a distro that gives you a choice of things
29 like your udev implementation and your kernel implementation (or using
30 udev at all), and as a result you get to deal with the fact that some
31 versions of the one have constraints on how you use the other. If you
32 ran a distro like Ubuntu you wouldn't have to worry about any of this,
33 as you'd use the udev they gave you and the precompiled kernel they
34 gave you and the world's greatest desktop environment and you'd be
35 happy with it. Anybody who has run Gentoo for a long time knows that
36 from time to time some change comes along and you'll just have to deal
37 with it - you can't just ignore things like firmware-loading on Gentoo
38 the way you can with some other distros.
39
40 Of course, nothing prevents anybody from creating a preconfigured
41 kernel for Gentoo. There is genkernel of course, though I think we
42 probably could do better. Most seem to be happy just managing their
43 own kernel configurations, and I think that is why nobody has bothered
44 to spend much time perfecting a canned kernel.
45
46 Going back to the original question, yes - it is that simple.
47 Dependencies are just dependencies - you only have to worry about them
48 when you turn things ON.
51 Rich