From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: udev update
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 21:00:09
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > Of course, nothing prevents anybody from creating a preconfigured
5 > kernel for Gentoo. There is genkernel of course, though I think we
6 > probably could do better. Most seem to be happy just managing their
7 > own kernel configurations, and I think that is why nobody has bothered
8 > to spend much time perfecting a canned kernel.
9
10 > Rich
11
12 https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
13
14 Although Canek has created a nice system that addresses not
15 only new kernels, but also the other critical steps one has
16 to at least consider for a successful kernel upgrade, his solution
17 is targeted at a bit more complex situation than the average
18 user's needs, such as Francisco situation.
19
20 The old usage of :
21 make oldconfig
22 make menuconfig
23
24 Is probably is in need of some extra "syntax_strokes" to create
25 a copy and paste style of kernel upgrade, should genkernel not
26 be sufficient.
27
28 There's grub2 to consider, (u)efi bios, mbr, initramfs and probably other
29 things to think about. Maybe somebody smarter than me (not really
30 hard to find on this list) could modify Canek's script for the
31 general user case of simply upgrading gentoo-sources.
32 It could be put on the gentoo-wiki for folks to try out or packaged
33 as an overlay?.
34
35 Feedback would (eventually) result in a version quite cool and moderized,
36 without messing with genkernel. Once it becomes "robust" it would
37 be up to Sven & company to decide if it makes the handbook, as a replacement
38 or alternative to genkernel.....
41 Just a thought, but we get this sort of problem, quite often on this
42 list.... I think we should at least have a gentoo wiki page that folks
43 can read and learn about the general idea on different methods and the
44 caveats therein to kernel upgrades on Gentoo. (pist) there could even
45 be a link to all the systemd and openrc pages that come into play?
48 James