From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 22:53:02
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 12:45:20PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >> My next project, find a good external drive enclosure like the three I
5 >> got now.  They no longer available tho.  I like them because they have a
6 >> fan, a eSATA port and a nifty display to let me know things are
7 >> working.  Really a good price for the features.  I don't like USB
8 >> connected drives.  Long story.
9 > How about a table-top dock?
10 > - no cable salad, caused by each enclosure having its own power supply and
11 > data cable
12 > - disks are used “naked”, so no heat buildup and you are more flexible
13 >
14 > Here are some models with eSATA:
15 > https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=hddocks&xf=4426_eSATA
16 > And one of them even has four slots → even fewer cables.
17 >
18 > That’s of course if you use the disks intermittently and store them away
19 > inbetween. If you plan on running them for longer durations at a time, it
20 > may be better to use a proper enclosure, in order to protect the disks from
21 > physical influences (impacts, short-circuits). Also, those SATA connectors
22 > are not designed to be connected often. I think I read about 50 cycles
23 > somewhere.
26 I've looked into those.  They do have advantages for sure.  One, the
27 bare drives take up less room in my fire safe.  Lots smaller than the
28 enclosures I have now.  My concern has always been the
29 plugging/unplugging a lot and dust when not in use.  I didn't know how
30 long those connectors are supposed to last but the bad thing is, when it
31 goes, the drive is gone to, plus the data.   I do like that it is in
32 open air which takes care of cooling pretty well.  I do my backups once
33 a week so it isn't as often as some situations but it isn't rare either.
34
35 I've found a enclosure since my post but got to wait until next income
36 boost to get one.  May buy a few of them if I can.  I think the ones I
37 found have fans but no display but that's OK.  I really like having the
38 fan more than the display.  It likely doesn't help with huge airflow but
39 it gives it some airflow.
40
41 I'm running pretty short on space in my case.  I have a Cooler Master
42 HAF-932 case.  I'm out of 3.5" spots.  I need to get some 5 1/4" to 3.5"
43 adapters.  I got some plastic thingys but they don't work in my case.
44 It has that push button thingy and the plastic adapter is to loose for
45 my comfort.  Plus, it has little cooling too.  The 3.5" bays have that
46 big fan blowing on them. Working on a plan.  Maybe this is a good excuse
47 to start working on a NAS.  :/
48
49 Dale
50