From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:41:45
1 Am Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 12:45:20PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
2
3 > My next project, find a good external drive enclosure like the three I
4 > got now.  They no longer available tho.  I like them because they have a
5 > fan, a eSATA port and a nifty display to let me know things are
6 > working.  Really a good price for the features.  I don't like USB
7 > connected drives.  Long story.
8
9 How about a table-top dock?
10 - no cable salad, caused by each enclosure having its own power supply and
11 data cable
12 - disks are used “naked”, so no heat buildup and you are more flexible
13
14 Here are some models with eSATA:
15 https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=hddocks&xf=4426_eSATA
16 And one of them even has four slots → even fewer cables.
17
18 That’s of course if you use the disks intermittently and store them away
19 inbetween. If you plan on running them for longer durations at a time, it
20 may be better to use a proper enclosure, in order to protect the disks from
21 physical influences (impacts, short-circuits). Also, those SATA connectors
22 are not designed to be connected often. I think I read about 50 cycles
23 somewhere.
26 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
27 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
28
29 The knowing don’t talk much, the talking don’t know much.