From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:45:31
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 10:59 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I have googled and can not find a way to reset udev and it naming
4 >> drives. I may have to rework some things since the drive kept the sdk
5 >> instead of switching to sdd when I made the physical change. Thing is,
6 >> I suspect it will when I reboot the next time.
7 > IMO it is best to make that not matter. If you're referencing drives
8 > by letter in configuration files, you're just asking for some change
9 > to re-order things and cause problems.
10 >
11 > You're using LVM, so all the drives should be assembled based on their
12 > embedded metadata. It is fine to reference whatever temporary device
13 > name you're using when running pvmove/pvcreate since that doesn't
14 > really get stored anywhere. If you are directly mounting anything
15 > without using LVM then it is best to use labels/uuids/etc to identify
16 > partitions.
17
18 I have to use sd** when using cryptsetup to decrypt the drive.  I
19 haven't found a way around that that is easier yet.  My command was
20 something like cryptsetup open /dev/sdk1 <name> and then it asks for the
21 password.  After that, I use UUID and a entry in fstab to mount.  If
22 there is a easier way, I'm open to it.  I have three external drives and
23 as long as I only power them up one at a time, they all used sdk.  Now
24 they use sdd and I keep trying to type in sdk, from habit.  :/
25
26 My next project, find a good external drive enclosure like the three I
27 got now.  They no longer available tho.  I like them because they have a
28 fan, a eSATA port and a nifty display to let me know things are
29 working.  Really a good price for the features.  I don't like USB
30 connected drives.  Long story.
33 >> It also triggered
34 >> messages from SMART too. It got upset that it couldn't find sdd anymore.
35 > That is typical when hotswapping. I believe smartd only scans drives
36 > at startup, and of course if a drive does go offline it isn't a bad
37 > thing that it is noisy about it. From a quick read of the manpage
38 > SIGHUP might or might not get it to rescan the drives, and if not you
39 > can just restart it. The daemon works by polling so if there are any
40 > pending issues they should still get picked up after restarting the
41 > daemon.
45 Yea, it is a good thing.  I just disabled it for sdd, enabled for the
46 new sdk and restarted the service.  It was happy then but getting a
47 email from SMART always makes my heart beat a few extra beats and
48 sometimes causes me to swallow big too.  It's rarely good news.  Maybe
49 the next reboot will sort things out.  Then I get to switch everything
50 back to the old way again.  :/
51
52 Dale
53