From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:58:57
1 On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:45:20 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > You're using LVM, so all the drives should be assembled based on their
4 > > embedded metadata. It is fine to reference whatever temporary device
5 > > name you're using when running pvmove/pvcreate since that doesn't
6 > > really get stored anywhere. If you are directly mounting anything
7 > > without using LVM then it is best to use labels/uuids/etc to identify
8 > > partitions.
9 >
10 > I have to use sd** when using cryptsetup to decrypt the drive.  I
11 > haven't found a way around that that is easier yet.  My command was
12 > something like cryptsetup open /dev/sdk1 <name> and then it asks for the
13 > password.
14
15 Use /dev/disks/by/partlabel/foo or /dev/disks/by-partuuid/bar.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 If Yoda so strong in force is, why words in right order he cannot put?